Saturday 14 January 2017

What I ate in Guinea

Guinea is a country in West Africa next to Sierra Leone and Liberia.  I went there last February to see my great grandma. I met many family members, and I found out I have a 2 year old uncle.

Me with my family

Breakfast

In this post you will see many different Guinean foods. The general breakie is plantain baguette. That is what I am eating here. I am drinking PG Tips as AfricAn tea is not too nice  :) 


Chilli stall at the market 
This is in Medina Market in the capital city Conakry. Chillis are used a lot in Guinean food. They sell all sorts of groceries and it is the main place for people to get food. They also sell clothes etc. 


Kenda at the market

This is kenda, for sale in the market. It is made from seeds of the red-flowered locust bean tree and it is ground and put on top of rice. In that dish you add a paste made of okra, fish amd chilli. It is my favourite African dish.


These are fishes (very popular) and attract lots of flies. It is used in different dishes especially with caramelised onoins and plantains.



I am eating poff poff (banana cake), plantains and beef stew also known as fry fry. My aunty made it. That's my Dad's uncle in the photo.

More coming soon from The Good Eater

All photos by my Dad (Michael)

4 comments:

  1. Guinean food is awesome! Better go get some Plantain from the Elephant & Castle shopping centre ๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚Thank you for reading my blog.

      Maliq the good eater

      Delete
  2. Well done Malik!!!! So are you starting a Kenda cafe in London soon?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes will be starting a kenda restaurant๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ thanks for reading my blog

      Maliq the good eater

      Delete